Sunday, April 10, 2011

Senses and stories of life

Stories in life...

One of my favorite "quick reads" is a foxhunting murder mystery by Rita Mae Brown. In one I've been listening to on tape, the author discusses--through the animals, of course-- the ability that some humans have to use all their senses and to listen to nature, including their own bodies. They talk about how most humans tend to see only what they are looking for, and therefore miss so much else that lays right before them.

I am guilty of this--not so much because I am unaware, but more because, though I AM aware, I deny following the path in front of me. Sometimes it is fear, sometimes it is trying to please others, and sometimes it is blatantly conscious choice, so that I can try a different road and see what might happen.

It is equally easy to make up excuses for behavior that denies our inner voice and being.
If we could all have the courage to follow our paths--for, as Arwen said to Aragorn in the Lord of the Rings--our path is not hidden; it is right before us. We have only to follow it.

No comments:

Post a Comment