Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Teachers

One thing I remind my students of regularly is that I am not the main teacher in the arena.
The horses are the real masters, challenging, guiding, and most of all helping the student in so many ways.
When selecting which horse a student should ride for a lesson, there is a lot that goes into the process. How many lessons has that horse done this week, what challenges and opportunities does this horse most like to bring, and is that what this rider needs? And the big question: which horse would like to teach this person today?
I trust the horses in so many ways. When a lesson is particularly challenging, I ask what is this rider being told to pay attention to, and how can I help the horse get the message through?
The horses also trust me. They know I am aware of them and what is happening with them through all of my senses--even if I am not looking! Remember the teacher in third grade who everyone swore had eyes in the back of her head?
In the days ahead, the horses and I are going to explore what it's like to ride with all your senses, and to help riders figure out what learning opportunity is coming to them during each ride.
I hope you join us on this journey :)
Happy riding!

No comments:

Post a Comment